Alma 9.0 CIFs mount fails

The following mount works fine of Alma 8.6, but fails on Alma 9.0

mount -t cifs //192.168.17.3/data_store /srv/nasDataStore -o username=data_client,password=_______,domain=RAYGEN.local,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755

mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

Nothing appears in dmesg

Is CIFS supported in 9.0 ?

Install cifs-utils.

sudo dnf install cifs-utils

Thanks - Sorry I should have clarified that I had already installed the cifs-utils package.
I got it working on Alma 8.6 following the same procedure , so there is some issue with 9.0 it seems.

I have in autofs-map in Alma 9 a functional entry:

myshare -fstype=cifs,ro,credentials=/root/myshare_creds ://myserver/myshare

and I don’t recall installing anything for it. The cifs-utils I had got with
dnf install @Workstation --exclude=hyperv-daemons,open-vm-tools-desktop,qemu-guest-agent,spice-vdagent,gnome-classic-session

The cifs-utils provides the mount.cifs. The filesystem support ought to be a kernel module (in kernel-modules).

lsmod | grep cifs
modinfo cifs
modprobe cifs

It works on 5.14.0-70.13.1.el9_0.x86_64.

I stumbled on the same problem while working on my CI/CD. I installed Alma 9 (minimal install) and CIFS was not available by default.

Apparently, cifs.ko.xz exists within the kernel-modules package which was not available for the default kernel that came with Alma 9. Once I updated the kernel-core package, I could install kernel-modules which provided the cifs module.

1. Install the kernel-modules-extra package: In some cases, the CIFS kernel module may be included in the kernel-modules-extra package. You can install this package using your system’s package manager. For example, if you are using yum, you can run the following command:
    sudo yum install kernel-modules-extra
    This package includes additional kernel modules that may not be included in the default kernel package.