ALMA-9.4 no GUI desktop after "Server with GUI" installed

Backstory: I tried to run RockyLinux-9.x to get a feel for it, because I like working with different RHEL-variants. I could not even get the OS to install without major issues into an Oracle Vbox machine. Oh well!

So I then decided to try an Oracle VM running ALMA-9.4 and got the OS to install, which is better than my experience with Rocky-9.x.

Then executed:

dnf groupinstall "Server with GUI"

When I rebooted the OS booted properly, because I had not yet set the GUI , using:

systemctl set-default graphical.target

to be default, I left it with the terminal.

Here is the problem, however, I cannot get the machine to boot and present a GUI desktop at all.

I am running this in an Oracle Virtualbox VM. It;s not like I can blacklist a driver… or can I?

You’re going to need to provide more information. What’s in the journal for when the display manager starts? What type of graphics is the Oracle VM providing?

@opoplawski thanks for responding.

The display manager does not start.
The Oracle VM is providing VBoxSVGA.

@opoplawski I was able to reboot the host, get in through the grub menu to single user mode and set-default back to multi-user.target.

Then afterwards I was able to also execute lspci and see the VGA device listed as:
InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter.

Sure, but why doesn’t it start? There should be messages in the journal hinting at why.