I followed this article and repaired it in both AlmaLinux 9.3 and 9.4. However, the name AlmaLinux 9.3 was looking for when updating was only openssh-8.7p1-38.el9.x86_64, while the name AlmaLinux 9.4 was looking for was openssh-8.7p1-38. .el9.alma.1.x86_64
They are all different from the openssh-8.7p1-38.el9.alma.2 mentioned in the article. Was the repair I made successful?
Any word on when the Errata will come out? Without this dnf doesn’t see it as a security update, for example “dnf updateinfo --refresh --security --list” doesn’t list it.
Update the openssh package to protect your system against this issue:
sudo dnf --refresh upgrade openssh
Confirm the updated version. You are looking for openssh-8.7p1-38.el9.alma.2.
rpm -q openssh
That last command gives this output on my AlmaLinux install: openssh-8.7p1-38.el9_4.1.x86_64
So it’s not openssh-8.7p1-38.el9.alma.2, so I need an update.
On the Errata page (ALSA-2024:4312) it says under Updated packages listed below:
x86_64 — openssh-8.7p1-38.el9_4.1.x86_64.rpm
So according to this I do have the fixed version. But when I check with ssh -V I get the following output: OpenSSH_8.7p1, OpenSSL 3.0.7 1 Nov 2022
So it’s an old version.
This is confusing. In the end I found what version was installed with dnf history and dnf history info xxx but I suggest the Blogpost be adjusted to mention to not look for “alma.2” with the rpm -q openssh command if it doesn’t yield the correct results.
It looks like I have installed AlmaLinux 9.1, because the oldest version was 8.7p1-24.el9_1
Two versions have clearly targeted AlmaLinux 9.2 and one 9.3.
The 8.7p1-38.el9 was released for AlmaLinux 9.4. RHEL 9.4 had that same version.
The 8.7p1-38.el9.alma.2 was basically 8.7p1-38.el9 with only for Alma security patch.
The alma.2 is the hint that this is by Alma and not from Red Hat.
The 8.7p1-38.el9_4.1 was what was released for RHEL 9.4 by Red Hat. Its latest changelog entry was:
* Fri Jun 28 2024 Dmitry Belyavskiy <dbelyavs@redhat.com> - 8.7p1-38.1
- Possible remote code execution due to a race condition (CVE-2024-6387)
Resolves: RHEL-45347
Basically the same change from 8.7p1-38.el9 as was in 8.7p1-38.el9.alma.2.
The el9_4.1 is a hint from Red Hat that this version was released for RHEL 9.4 and is from maintenance branch of RHEL 9.4, rather than from development branch of RHEL 9.
The RHEL 9.5 will probably get a “8.7p-N.el9” (where N >= 38).
The 8.7p1-38.el9_4.1.alma.1 is based on the 8.7p1-38.el9_4.1 and has a patch for CVE-2024-6409 added by Alma (as denoted by the alma.1 suffix).
It is quite possible that Red Hat will soon release something like 8.7p1-38.el9_4.2 for RHEL 9.4.