Flatpak and sabnzbd usenet downloader

Hi team,

I have a problem with installing a package called sabnzbd.
It is a newsgroup downloader that is not native on the centos or almalinux repositories, neither in eelec or other 3th party repo’s.
For some years I used for a manual approach and frankensteined something that worked, but not great. Since today and after running it for 2 years sabnzbd.service gave an error after a dnf update session and i decided to look for saver and smoother solution to install the package.

Trying to follow a manual for flatpak to install the package I ran in a problem for flatpak while tryinf to install it: After sudo dnf update it says:

Problem: cannot install both flac-libs-1.3.2-9.el8_8.1.x86_64 from appstream and flac-libs-1.3.2-9.el8.x86_64 from @System

  • package flac-1.3.2-9.el8.x86_64 from @System requires flac-libs(x86-64) = 1.3.2-9.el8, but none of the providers can be installed
  • cannot install the best update candidate for package flac-libs-1.3.2-9.el8.x86_64
  • problem with installed package flac-1.3.2-9.el8.x86_64

So I tried to remove flatpak completely and reboot and do a ‘dnf update’ .
after that rebooting again and install the flatpak package again.
Didn’t help same results.

I am not a great fan of flatpak since it eats much space on the system partition.
However, I need a method to have ‘sabnzbd’ installed. Is there a recommended way for that to happen on Almalinux?

Thanks for any hints.

update: following this manual:

This happens:

sudo snap install sabnzbd
error: system does not fully support snapd: cannot mount squashfs image using “squashfs”:
mount: /tmp/syscheck-mountpoint-1669407253: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

Hi,

It is crucial to have the kernel-modules package installed which includes the squashfs. Please, use this guide on our wiki for the proper installation of snapd.

Thanks I tried all step in the guide. Same results.

sudo snap install sabnzbd
error: system does not fully support snapd: cannot mount squashfs image using “squashfs”: mount: /tmp/syscheck-mountpoint-2602264223: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/loop0, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.

I managed to install it by flatpak. But the result is disappointing.

I gave up on sabznbd sandbox on almalinux. I succeeded using flatpak, but you end up with sanzbnd running as the root user. Difficult to manage folder permissions like that. With other os’es like debian with native sabnzbd installations, sabnzbd is running with sabnzbd user permissions. In snap or flatpak these permissions are a maze.
Why is sabnzbd not supported on centos, redhead and likes? Is there any better usenet client solution available form eepel or other repo’s?

Hi,

So, after more experiments, I decided to quit sabnzbd and remove flatpak and snapd from the system. They take drive space and the configuration of user permissions on the sandboxes they create is too difficult for me.
There is another application that can do the job called NZBGET which is supported on many different members of the linux family.

For almalinux and alikes you could follow:

https://nuxref.com/2020/09/06/usenet-solution/
(Follow the NZBGet Usenet Solution part)

Very nice GUI interface. It looks simple at first impression, but under the hood powerful.
At the end of the manual a nginx installation procedure is added for security reasons.
A proxy webserver bridge of some kind. Personally I would just not expose the nzbget webgui port to the outside net. Keep nzbget WebGUI only LAN accessible and block it for outside. Your router could do that job, or configure firewalld to allow incoming access only from the LAN ip addresses.
Something like this maybe:

firewall-cmd --add-rich-rule=‘rule family=ipv4 source address=192.168.xxx.xx/24 service name=nzbget log prefix=“nzbget Logs” level=“notice” accept’

(change xxx in the ip address for your gateway needs)

Possible alternative for a systemd service file, for starting the app on servers automatically:

#################
[Unit]
Description=NZBGet Daemon
Documentation=Documentation
After=network.target

[Service]
User=nzbget
Group=nzbget
Type=forking
ExecStart={path to nzbget isntallation folder here}/nzbget -D
ExecStop={path to nzbget isntallation folder here}/nzbget -Q
ExecReload={path to nzbget isntallation folder here}/nzbget -O
KillMode=process
Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
#################

After i got it running, I spent some time to understand the configuration.
I would recommend to set the folders and paths not in the system directory as seems to be default. Better think about your setup and choose other large drives when your system allows it.

http://localhost:6789.
This one took me some time to figure out, it is a mean one:
In the webgui: settings => security =>set Umask to 002

It is important to understand how nzbget handles permission for new created files. Umask 002 in the config setting above sets per default
permission 775 on all new created files. Add your own linux user account to the nzbget group for easy file handling.

(you could read this link to understand more about setting umask:)

Hope this can help anyone else.
till so far.