Hostname not appearing in the forwarded email

Hi,
I have managed to setup postfix on alma linux 9 to forward email via gmail server but the only problem the name appear to be root. So I change the hostname via this command hostnamectl set-hostname alamtestnet but yet it appears as root in the received emails.

Can you provide the script or one-liner you use to generate the email?
Can you provide an image snippet of what the unwanted result looks like?

That might help us.

Hi,
This the script I am testing

echo "Test Postfix Gmail SMTP Relay " | mail -s “Postfix Gmail SMTP Relay 1” ****@gmail.com

I would expect to see root@localhost or root@alamtestnet as sender, if you send mail as user root. To see ‘root’ where a hostname is expected – you have to tell more.

It’s been more than a decade since I did this, but if you add “-r testaddr@somedomain.com” (without the quotes) to the mail command before the “-s” that should set a from address. That from address must be a real address (and domain).

“mail --help” will show the command syntax.

Perhaps one should append to /etc/postfix/generic a mapping, like:

root@alamtestnet.localdomain testaddr@somedomain.com

and rehash the map to use:

postmap /etc/postfix/generic

One probably has to add hash:/etc/postfix/generic to smtp_generic_maps in postfix config first.

Overall, postfix should have many options in its config. (The above is the only one that I have had a need for.)

To ensure that you do not appear as root when sending the email, do the following on your server:

Install the package below

# yum install mutt-2.2.6-2.el9.x86_64

Once installed, edit the file as below:

# vim /etc/Muttrc

Uncomment the line below

# set realname=“”

leaving it this way

set realname=“yourserver.yourdomain”

Save the file and test sending the email as below:

echo “Postfix Test…” | mutt -s ‘[SRV-SERVER]’ e-mail@seuemail.com.br*