How to Upgrade AL 9.6 to 10.0 on X86_64_v2?

Sorry if this has been answered before. Feel free to point me in the right direction if it has.

I have an old Dell laptop I’ve been running Rocky 9 on, and wanted to upgrade it to an EL10. As it’s an x86-64-v2, AlmaLinux was the choice. I migrated from Rocky 9.6 to AlmaLinux 9.6 with no problems, however I’ve been unable to upgrade to AL10.0.

Running leapp fails because “Current x86-64 microarchitecture is unsupported in RHEL10” But I’m trying to upgrade to AL10 which does support it! How do I convince leapp to allow an upgrade to AL10?

Or failing that, how do I upgrade without using leapp?

Thanx in advance for any advice to this newbie to AlmaLinux.

Why bother with the hassle when 9.x is supported until 2032?

First, I prefer to think “in-place conversion to different distro” than “upgrade”.

You should contact the maintainers of ELevate to tell them of “another target distro” (as the v2 is a special el10).


Personally, I do use fresh install followed by restore of user data and config. Most of user data is in separate filesystem, i.e. “trivial” to keep, and config has to adapt to different versions anyway.

RHEL10 has a higher CPU requirement than older versions, it now requires a CPU compatible with x86-64-v3 instruction set or higher.

Yes RHEL10 doesn’t support x86_64_v2, but AL10 specifically has a version which does; and I can’t use leapp to upgrade to that version.

Hello, same situation here.
I have a computer with x86_64_v2 CPU.
I started from RockyLinux 9.6, which Leapp does not recognized.
So I did a ‘dnf distro-sync’ to convert to AlmaLinux 9.6, no problem at all.
Now I run Leapp and it says my CPU microarchitecture is not compatible.
Obviously it wants to remain in the ‘x86_64’ architecture, which means x86_64_v3 here.
Is there any way to convince Leapp to change architecture and migrate to x86_64_v2 instead ?

@PunisherHD I gave up on trying to convert and tried a new install v10.0 from both the standard and live ISOs. Unfortunately , they both fail verification at 4.8%, even after having checked the sha256sum hash on both. Trying an install without verifying fails as well.
At this point I’m going to stay with AL9.6 until 10.1 comes out. If things haven’t been fixed by then, I’ll go back to Rocky until it EOLs and retire the hardware.

Hello, hopefully this is only a test machine, so I’m not in a hurry and I can stay in 9.6 now. Eventually, I will do a fresh installation if Leapp never supports changing arch.

I am a bit frustrated because the AL10 release annoucement says “hey you can keep your x86_64_v2 computer” and “hey you can upgrade major version using Leapp”, but currently I cannot do both at the same time :slight_smile: