Leapp Elevate Centos 7 to Centos Stream 8

I tried leapp-preupgrade a while ago to prepare for EOL for Centos 7, and it did not report any errors - just a few warnings about packages which are not signed by RHEL.

However, having rerun it today, I get an error about unable to install RHEL 8 userspace packages. I can see that others have had similar frustrations.

I am running:
CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

Report:

2024-06-14 05:15:26.813238 [ERROR] Actor: target_userspace_creator
Summary:
Details: Command [‘systemd-nspawn’, ‘–register=no’, ‘–quiet’, ‘-D’, ‘/var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_TARGET_RELEASE=8.6’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_NO_RHSM=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXPERIMENTAL=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UPGRADE_PATH_FLAVOUR=default’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_TOOLS=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/cloudlinux/tools:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/tools:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el7toel8/tools’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_COMMON_FILES=:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/wp-toolkit/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/common/files:/etc/leapp/repos.d/system_upgrade/el7toel8/files’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_IPU_IN_PROGRESS=7to8’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_UNSUPPORTED=0’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_EXECUTION_ID=581e0c40-fd71-4e4b-8e94-f37e072bb08d’, ‘–setenv=LEAPP_HOSTNAME=mail.sellmyretro.com’, ‘dnf’, ‘install’, ‘-y’, ‘–nogpgcheck’, ‘–setopt=module_platform_id=platform:el8’, ‘–setopt=keepcache=1’, ‘–releasever’, u’8.6’, ‘–installroot’, ‘/el8target’, ‘–disablerepo’, ‘*’, ‘–enablerepo’, u’centos8-baseos’, ‘–enablerepo’, u’centos8-powertools’, ‘–enablerepo’, u’centos8-ha’, ‘–enablerepo’, u’centos8-extras’, ‘–enablerepo’, u’centos8-appstream’, ‘dnf’, ‘dnf-command(config-manager)’, ‘–disableplugin’, ‘subscription-manager’] failed with exit code 1.
Stderr: Failed to create directory /var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay//sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
Failed to create directory /var/lib/leapp/scratch/mounts/root_/system_overlay//sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
Host and machine ids are equal (fee965724a3d31b0a8470d53dd5fdf87): refusing to link journals
Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘centos8-powertools’, ignoring this repo.
Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘centos8-ha’, ignoring this repo.
Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘centos8-baseos’, ignoring this repo.
Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘centos8-appstream’, ignoring this repo.
Failed to synchronize cache for repo ‘centos8-extras’, ignoring this repo.
Error: Unable to find a match: dnf dnf-command(config-manager)

I have tried
dnf clean all
Removing and reinstalling the leapp upgrade system
Disabling the subscription manager in /etc/dnf/plugins/subscription-manager.conf

None of them seem to overcome the issue.
I wonder if it might just be a temporary issue with the libraries?

I decided in the end to upgrade to AlmaLinux, and that worked without the issue.

Well, when I say it worked - the leapp preupgrade worked and the upgrade proceeded, but stopped with:

STDERR:
Failed to create directory /var/lib/leapp/el8userspace//sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
Failed to create directory /var/lib/leapp/el8userspace//sys/fs/selinux: Read-only file system
No matches found for the following disable plugin patterns: subscription-manager
Repository extras is listed more than once in the configuration
Repository extras-source is listed more than once in the configuration
Warning: Package marked by Leapp to upgrade not found in repositories metadata: gpg-pubkey
RPM: warning: Generating 6 missing index(es), please wait…
Error: Transaction test error:
file /usr/lib64/libwebp.so.7 from install of libwebp-1.0.0-9.el8_9.1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwebp7-1.0.3-2.el7.remi.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/libwebpdecoder.so.3 from install of libwebp-1.0.0-9.el8_9.1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwebp7-1.0.3-2.el7.remi.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/libwebpdemux.so.2 from install of libwebp-1.0.0-9.el8_9.1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwebp7-1.0.3-2.el7.remi.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/libwebpmux.so.3 from install of libwebp-1.0.0-9.el8_9.1.x86_64 conflicts with file from package libwebp7-1.0.3-2.el7.remi.x86_64

There is over 110GB Free space on the disk.