Migrating from CentOS7 to AlmaLinux: Problem with duplicate gnumake.h

I am exploring options to upgrade an old machine with CentOS7. To check out the CentOS7 → AlmaLinux8 → AlmaLinux9 route, I created a clean install of CentOS7 in a virtual box and tried to upgrade, following the instructions here: ELevating CentOS 7 to AlmaLinux 9 | AlmaLinux Wiki.

The upgrade to AlmaLinux8 went well, but when trying to upgrade to AlmaLinux9, I got the following error:

Error: Transaction test error: file /usr/include/gnumake.h from install of make-1:4.3-7.el9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package make-devel-1:4.2.1-11.el8.x86_64

If somebody has a pointer on how to fix this, I’d appreciate it. Thanks!

[el8 ~]# dnf -q rq -l make-devel
/usr/include/gnumake.h
[el8 ~]# dnf -q rq --requires make-devel

[el9 ~]# dnf -q list make-devel
Error: No matching Packages to list
[el9 ~]# dnf -q rq --provides /usr/include/gnumake.h
make = 1:4.3-8.el9
make(x86-64) = 1:4.3-8.el9

The ‘make-devel’ seems to have only one file in el8, and no such package is in el9 but el9 has that file in package ‘make’.

Remove the ‘make-devel’. (If that pulls something with it, then restore those after upgrade.)

Thanks. I tried that, via

sudo rpm -e --nodeps make-devel-4.2.1-11.el8.x.86_64

The sudo leapp upgrade then went through, but rebooting resulted in a consistent error, and now the machine won’t start at all anymore. Any other suggestions?

Seems weird that I run into a problem like this following the instructions on a clean install, maybe I broke something earlier?

sudo dnf remove make-devel

is what I would have used. The dnf has history of transactions and the ‘rpm’ does not update that. Furthermore, the dnf does ask whether to proceed, so we would see and could avoid, if there were any dependencies that should not be removed.


That would be my guess. Then again, I have never used in-place conversion (leapp), so am no expert. I have means/opportunity to use fresh installs.

Thanks again. I will try again from scratch and try the dnf way if I run into the same problem.

Update: I did the whole thing from scratch and it worked, I must have borked something on the first try. Thanks again for the help