Prevent automatic suspend when closing laptop lid, even when logged out

Is it possible to prevent my laptop from going to sleep when I close the lid regardless of whether I am logged in?

In /etc/systemd/logind.conf, I have set each of HandleLidSwitch, HandleLidSwitchExternalPower, and HandleLidSwitchDocked to ignore. This achieves the desired effect once I have logged in, but if I reboot the machine and close the lid at the GDM login screen, the laptop goes to sleep after a short amount of time.

This is a fresh install of AlmaLinux OS 9.4 using the Minimal ISO downloaded today.

Why do I want this? I am experimenting with an old laptop as a Samba server on my LAN. My goal is to stick the laptop in a closet and minimize the need for manual attention. Samba runs as a system service, so the laptop only needs to be on (not logged in) to work as a Samba server. However, I have set up dnf-automatic to update and reboot automatically when needed, which means that sometimes the laptop will reboot itself and I will not be logged in. I can tell that the laptop is suspending itself in this case because the Samba share goes offline.

Mmh, just don’t boot into graphical session (graphical.target) instead into multi-user.target?

Thanks, this works well enough, although now I can’t launch Gnome from the command line without changing the boot target back. sudo gdm launches a black screen with blinking underscore.

systemctl isolate graphical.target
1 Like