Suggestion for the AlmaLinux team : Icinga

Hi,

I’m running a mix of AlmaLinux and Rocky Linux on all my servers. Up until a few months ago, I’ve been using Icinga for server monitoring.

Unfortunately the Icinga maintainers played a nasty trick on all RHEL and RHEL clone users. While Icinga can still be freely used by Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE users, RHEL and RHEL clone users now have to buy an expensive license to be able to access the repositories.

This decision came mid-release, a bit like when CentOS pulled the rug from under our feet and left us out in the cold back in 2021.

I’ve invested quite some time in learning Icinga and even wrote a detailed series about installing and configuring Icinga on Rocky Linux:

https://blog.microlinux.fr/tag/icinga/

I know you guys have made wonders with things like AlmaLinux 10 and EPEL 10 being compatible with x86_64v2, or readding SPICE support for KVM. So here’s a suggestion.

I don’t know how much work this represents, but a RHEL-compatible Icinga repository curated by the AlmaLinux team would be a very nice thing to have. While I have rebuilt the odd Fedora package to integrate it into my own package repository, I fear this goes beyond my competence.

What do you think ?

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki

Hi there! It’s been a million years since I looked at Icinga, but if I recall correctly it’s a fork of Nagios. I don’t think it would make sense for us to pull this project in as something we would manage, but it might be worth seeing if Nagios fits your needs. It’s also entirely possible it’s deviated too far.

Thanks for the suggestion, though! If you’d like an official look at it, it’s something you should propose to ALESCo by creating and submitting a pull request with the RFC on this repo: GitHub - AlmaLinux/ALESCo