Timeshift install

How can I install Timeshift in AlmaLinux 8.5?

I had to look what that is. Found a github page that explains:

… Timeshift is similar to applications like rsnapshot, BackInTime and TimeVault but with different goals. It is designed to protect only system files and settings. User files such as documents, pictures and music are excluded. …

“System files and settings”. The system files come from packages. One can reinstall them and possibly revert to earlier versions – if repositories keep the older versions. I would rather have a list of what packages I have installed than rsync copy of the files.

There are configuration management systems like Ansible, Chef, Puppet that let you list packages you want and they can install from the list. Furthermore, you can “list” the settings, the configuration, and have it deployed too. If you have your lists in version control, then you basically can check what you had at certain timepoint. (AlmaLinux 8.6 has ‘ansible-core’ an appstream repo.)

There seems to be timeshift RPM-packages for Fedora and EPEL for EL7. Not for EL8, so not for Alma. One can take the src.rpm from one of those and try to (re)build with mock for Alma. That, or consider a configuration management approach.