Upgrade Almalinux 8.9 to 9.2

Hello, I have used this guide ELevate Quickstart Guide | AlmaLinux Wiki. The upgrade works great. But unfortunately to Almalinux 9.3. How can I upgrade to 9.2. The background is that I am using software that does not yet support 9.3.

Maybe someone knows a guide to upgrade to 9.2

Thanks

You don’t. The support for 9.2 did stop when the 9.3 was released; “there is only one” AlmaLinux 9.

The changes between 9.2 and 9.3 are not huge.
What is the exact reason why the software is not usable in 9.3?

Thank you for your answer. Plesk does not yet support Almalinux 9.3

Yes, but what does “does not support” mean (technically)?

Technically, everything would work. But Plesk currently only works up to a maximum of Almalinux 9.2

Thanks anyway. Then I’ll wait until Plesk supports Alma 9.3.

That is contradictory. Either everything works, or something (Plesk) does not work. Those are mutually exclusive states.

If Plesk does technically work in 9.3 but its vendor just says: “we won’t support you if you do run on 9.3 and have an issue”, then the vendor has an issue (in keeping up to date) and one should evaluate whether some other software (for same task) would be a better choice.

According to Plesk, AlmaLinux 9.3 is supported. During installation, however, Plesk says that Almalinux 9.3 is not supported. Maybe it is also due to the cloud. Thanks anyway, then I will look for another software as suggested.

This works for me - fresh 8.9 install upgraded to 9.2

dnf -y upgrade
reboot

dnf -y install http://repo.almalinux.org/elevate/elevate-release-latest-el8.noarch.rpm
dnf -y install leapp-upgrade leapp-data-almalinux
rpm -e iptables-ebtables --nodeps

sed -i 's|/9/|/9.2/|g' /etc/leapp/files/leapp_upgrade_repositories.repo 

leapp preupgrade
leapp upgrade
reboot

Then you can buy ESU from TuxCare to get security patches for 9.2 and FIPS for 5 years.

(or echo 9.2 > /etc/dnf/vars/releasever but you won’t get any updates and you might have to edit epel.repo)

1 Like

Perfect. Thank you very much

1 Like