VirtualBox from RPMFusion not working on AlmaLinux 9

Hi,

On a fresh AlmaLinux 9 installation with KDE from EPEL and RPMFusion activated, I install the VirtualBox package, add my user to the vboxusers group and then reboot. And then I get this:

# systemctl status vboxdrv
× vboxdrv.service - Linux kernel module init script
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/vboxdrv.service; enabled; preset: enabled)
     Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2025-07-07 09:21:32 CEST; 16s ago
    Process: 1910 ExecStart=/sbin/modprobe vboxdrv (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
   Main PID: 1910 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
        CPU: 1ms

Jul 07 09:21:32 sandbox systemd[1]: Starting Linux kernel module init script...
Jul 07 09:21:32 sandbox modprobe[1910]: modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/5.14.0-570.23.1.el9_6.x86_64
Jul 07 09:21:32 sandbox systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Jul 07 09:21:32 sandbox systemd[1]: vboxdrv.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Jul 07 09:21:32 sandbox systemd[1]: Failed to start Linux kernel module init script.

Any idea what’s going on here ? Looks like the VirtualBox package from RPMFusion is broken.

I’ll answer this myself since I just found a solution. I’ve opted for Oracle’s RPMs from their Enterprise Linux repository. Here’s an Ansible role I’ve written for this:

On a side note: if anybody figured out how to automate Oracle’s VirtualBox Extension Pack installation, please do share this information. I’m currently trying to wrap my head around this to add it to my playbook.

Cheers,

Niki